His Majesty's Royal Banqueting House of Whitehal (Whitehall), London, 1713
H. Terrason published in 1713.
Large Hand-colored copper engraving by H. Terasson.
From Daniel Mortier's "Nouveau Theatre de Grand Bretagne".
The term Whitehall has come to signify the British government, since so many government offices run along Whitehall street.
The area is named for the vast Palace of Whitehall which was the principal residence of the British sovereign from 1530 until 1698 when it was destroyed by fire.
The only portion of the original structure which remains today is the Banqueting House - the subject of this 1713 engraving.
The Banqueting House was built by the famous British architect Inigo Jones. King Charles of England was executed on a scaffold in front of the building in 1649. The building continues to be used for grand receptions today.
Dimensions: 16.5 by 22.5 inches
Contact Village Antiques
for Prices or More Information